12 Easy Holiday Traditions to start with your Dog
Author: Pawfect Dogs Blog
The holidays are a magnificent time to celebrate with family, friends, and our Dogs. Here at PDB, our pets are integral members of our families and are included in all of the planned holiday festivities.
We all know that Dogs are incredible creatures and are not focused on material things. Celebrating this season with our Dogs reminds us that the holidays are not about the number of presents under the tree. Instead with our Pets we are able to enjoy the magic of holidays through wonderful traditions. Each year, I look forward to the experiences and memories that we get to share as a family including special moments with our Pups.
Here is a list of fun and easy traditions to implement with your Dog in mind this year.
1. Decorate the Christmas Tree with your Dog
- We have an artificial tree but we have special ornaments that we love hanging each year, one ornament even resembles Ralph himself.
- Perhaps your tradition could be going on a special outing to pick out a real tree. Most places allow your Dog to accompany you while selecting the pawfect tree for your home.
2. Bake Christmas Pup Cookies
- Lil Maisie Marie, the cutest Pom in Chicago, swears by this delicious and easy recipe:
- 1 cup oats
- 1/3 cup pumpkin purée
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter (ensure that it does NOT contain Xylitol)
- Grind oats in food processor or blender first. Mix all ingredients together to form a dough. Warning! It will be sticky!
- Roll out onto floured surface (use whole wheat or coconut flour).
- Cut into small shapes with bone cookie cutter or small squares with a knife.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 25-30 mins (until hard and crunchy).
- Cool and enjoy!
3. Donate Toys & Treats to your local Shelter
- It is so important to remember animals in need all year round, but especially during the holiday season. Consider making a special donation to your local shelter, or volunteering your time as well. Some of our favorite organizations to support throughout the year include:
4. Wear matching Family Pajamas
- So many retailers are including pets as a part of their offerings for matching pajamas. We are huge fans of cozy PJs, and will never pass on an opportunity to match with our pups. Check out these adorable plaid ones from Fab Dog.
5. Start a Christmas Countdown
- Advent Calendars are a unique and fun way to celebrate the anticipation of Christmas Day with a countdown where your Pup can get a special treat each day! We found our adorable calendar in store at Shop Dog & Co in New York City. At the bottom of the post you can sign up for our newsletter to get a downloadable version of 25 activities to include in your Dog’s advent calendar.
6. Take Family Holiday Themed Photos
- The Holiday Season is the pawfect opportunity for a family photo shoot. These festive photos become some of our most cherished photographs from the entire year. You can even wear your matching Holiday pajamas for this photo shoot!
7. Send out Christmas Cards to all of your best Pup friends.
- Doing a Holiday Card exchange is such a merry way to keep in touch with all of our Dog friends. We also love putting all of the beautiful cards we receive on display too.
8. Record a Year-in-Review Video
- It is so special to reminisce and look over photos from your adventures throughout the year.Put together a quick video or slide show highlighting some of your favorite moments from over the past year with your pets.
9. Watch the same Holiday movie together each year
- We love to grab some hot chocolate, lots of warm blankets and watch our favorite movies like the “Polar Express” or “How the Grinch Stole Christmas”. Let us know your favorite holiday movie in the comments below.
10. Admire all of the Holiday Lights
- Pick a week night to plan an early dinner, then pack your dog in the car with blankets and just drive around to see all the decorated houses in your neighborhood or lights at a special display. In North Carolina we have incredible light displays at the Biltmore Estate and in Christmas Town USA (McAdenville). Our New York Blog members love to go to Rockefeller Center and see the store display windows along Fifth Avenue.
11. Do a wintry outdoor activity as a Family
- Go sledding or have a snowball fight! Don’t all dogs love eating snow? If you do not live in a snowy area, try going for a brisk hike or just a fun day at the dog park.
12. Open one special present on Christmas Eve
- Fill a stocking with your Dog’s favorite large treat like a bully stick or himalayan chews and watch them stay entertained for hours!
Go see Santa Paws! Check your local PetSmart for the opportunity to take your Pup’s photo with Santa.
Do you have any unique traditions that you enjoy each year? We would love to hear how you celebrate the holidays with your families. Follow along with us on Instagram @pawfectdogsblog to see all of our holiday adventures with our fur babies.
25 Fun Activities to include in your Dog’s Advent Calendar
Sign up for our newsletter to get a downloadable version of 25 activities to include in your Dog’s advent calendar straight in your inbox.